Check out the Scott Venturo LLP ==> Video Spot <== produced for 2012 Calgary International Film Festival
Scott Venturo News
- Welcome aboard to our newest associate Kathleen Radford! Kathleen will be practicing in the area of litigation and insurance.
- Congratulations to our new associates, Kate Kozowyk and Matt Bancroft who have completed their articles and will remain as associates at Scott Venturo!
- Congratulations to Marney Lutz for being selected as one of the leading practitioners in Canada in the area of Personal Injury for 2013 by The Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory!
- Scott Venturo LLP welcomes Nolan W. Shouldice to our team! Nolan came to our firm by way of a seconded articling position and has accepted our offer to remain as an associate.
Our newest addition, Christine M. Smith, has travelled from sea to sea to find herself in Calgary and we are very pleased to have her at the firm.
We are delighted to welcome the two latest additions to our Scott Venturo family, Perminder Basran and Gillian Hollowisky, both of whom will be practicing in the area of insurance and general litigation.
- It is with great pride and excitement that Scott Venturo LLP announces Mr. Justice Robert J. Hall, Q.C., is the newest judicial appointment to the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench.
Mr. Justice Hall joined Singleton Urquhart Scott in 1995, became Managing Partner in 1998 and became a named partner in Scott Venturo LLP in 2000. His main practice area was civil litigation with a focus on insurance defence work. Not only has he left an indelible footprint on our firm but also on his students as a sessional instructor at the University of Calgary in insurance law. Mr. Justice Hall’s remarkable trial skills will stand him in good stead in his new appointment as he continues to make his mark in the legal community. The Scott Venturo LLP family wishes Mr. Justice Hall the very best. We will miss him.
Scott Venturo LLP Legal News
In Allen v. Gray, 2012 ABQB 66, Domenic Venturo, Q.C. and Katrina Edgerton-McGhan were successful in an application for an Order declaring the Plaintiff to be a vexatious plaintiff pursuant to s. 23.2 of the Alberta Judicature Act. As a result, the Plaintiff in that action must seek leave of the court in order take any further steps in such action, any other existing action or to commence any new action. In a Memorandum of Judgment filed May 22, 2013, Ms. Allen's appeal was dismissed for want of prosecution. http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb_new/public/ca/2003-NewTemplate/ca/Civil/2013/2013abca0176.pdf
In the recent decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench in Chouhan v. Canada Safeway Ltd. and McNeice Landscaping Ltd., 2012 ABQB 7, Marney Lutz successfully defended McNeice Landscaping Ltd, a snow removal contractor who were sued, along with Canada Safeway Ltd. by the Plaintiff who claimed injury when she fell and broke her leg in front of a Safeway store prior to the store opening. The fall occurred when the Plaintiff approached the entrance to the Canada Safeway store while McNeice was in the process of completing snow removal work. The case against McNeice was dismissed, and a finding was made that McNeice performed its work in a reasonable and appropriate manner, and in accordance with its’ contractual obligations. The claim against Canada Safeway was also dismissed.
- Marney Lutz successfully defended her clients in Ngyuen v. Smith by advancing a rare, but in this case effective, defence of inevitable accident, where the Defendant, Christine Smith, while stopped at a red light, experienced a sudden and unexpected loss of consciousness, causing her foot to come off the brake, and her vehicle to roll forward, striking the vehicle in front. The three occupants of that vehicle advanced personal injury claims. The Plaintiff argued that the Defendant was negligent in failing to pull over on a busy 4 lane roadway soon enough, or in failing to choose a more appropriate place to pull off the road. The Defendant, shortly after realizing that she was feeling unwell and light-headed, chose to exit the roadway at a place with which she was familiar, as opposed to what might have been a more expedient exit. The court, in dismissing the Plaintiff’s claim, found that the Defendant had acted in a reasonable fashion, and that she had no reason to anticipate her sudden lack of consciousness, which had never happened prior to the accident, nor had it happened since. The case was dismissed at trial, and no appeal has been filed.
Scott Venturo LLP Writes
Scott Venturo LLP Community News
As a director of Calgary Immigrant Women's Association, Kiran Birdi wishes to congratulate the Executive Director, Beba Svigir, and her staff for being selected as a recipient of the 2013 Calgary Herald Christmas Fund.
Scott Venturo LLP Supports Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
A hole-in-one win at the Scott Venturo LLP sponsored hole at the 2012 Edition of our firm's Golf Tournament resultled in Intact Insurance paying not only the $25,000.00 to the very happy golfer but also giving $5,000.00 to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. We were thrilled to be able to make that presentation at our Calgary International Film Festival event.
Scott Venturo LLP supports United Way
The Scott Venturo LLP United Way week (November 19 - 23) started on November 1, 2012 with Colin McKinnon, Jeff Coape-Arnold, Matt Bancroft and staff member, Niall Condon all generously agreeing to let their moustache and beard grow until their respective donations reached $500.00. Everyone at Scott Venturo LLP must love beards because many donated $0.50 per day with a top of $100.00 at the end of the United Way week if each participant kept their moustache and beard until November 23, 2012!
Amazing and touching are just some of the words used as we watched Jewel McIlhargey (real estate paralegal) and Sarah Scott (corporate department assistant) shave their heads in support of the United Way and staff members recently diagnosed with cancer! They are shown here with another staff member, Linda Stevens, who knit their toques with pink breast cancer wool.
Scott Venturo supports 2013 Calgary International Film Festival
Scott Venturo LLP is proud to be a long term sponsor of the Calgary International Film Festival.
Scott Hall Supports Marathon Quest 250
In lieu of sending Holiday cards for 2010, Scott Venturo LLP was pleased to support Marathon Quest 250. In fact, our partner Don G. Detomasi ran beside Martin Parnell for some of his marathons! Check out this picture of Don and Martin as they head out in -31 degree weather to run Martin's final 2010 Marathon in Cochrane, Alberta. For more information about Marathon Quest 250 see their website at www.marathonquest250.com.
On August 27, 2009, Scott Venturo LLP became a member of Mackrell International. Mackrell International is one of the world’s major networks of over 60 independent law firms that have more than 100 offices on five continents. Scott Venturo LLP is proud to be associated with this forceful and innovative network of medium-sized law firms in major jurisdictions, dedicated to client satisfaction.