Scott Venturo News
- Congratulations to Michael Readshaw on being called to the bar on August 14, 2014. We are also happy to announce that Mike will remain at Scott Venturo LLP as an associate.
- We are pleased to welcome Michelle L. Commance as our 2014 Articling Student!
- Congratulations to Marney Lutz for being selected as one of the leading practitioners in Canada in the area of Personal Injury for 2014 by The Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory!
- Congratulations to Bruce J. MacLeod who has been appointed President of the Risk Management Counsel of Canada for the 2014 year!
- The summer of 2013 saw the arrival of our newest associate Kathleen Radford. The summer also was a time to celebrate with Kate Kozowyk and Matt Bancroft who will remain at Scott Venturo LLP as associates after completing their articles!
- On April 5, 2013, Scott Venturo LLP welcomed Nolan W. Shouldice to our team! Nolan came to our firm by way of a seconded articling position and accepted our offer to remain as an associate.
Christine M. Smith, has travelled from sea to sea to find herself in Calgary in January 2013 .We are very pleased to have her at the firm.
We are delighted to welcome the two latest additions to our Scott Venturo family, Perminder Basran and Gillian Hollowisky, both of whom will be practicing in the area of insurance and general litigation.
- It is with great pride and excitement that Scott Venturo LLP announces Mr. Justice Robert J. Hall, Q.C., is the newest judicial appointment to the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench.
Mr. Justice Hall joined Singleton Urquhart Scott in 1995, became Managing Partner in 1998 and became a named partner in Scott Venturo LLP in 2000. His main practice area was civil litigation with a focus on insurance defence work. Not only has he left an indelible footprint on our firm but also on his students as a sessional instructor at the University of Calgary in insurance law. Mr. Justice Hall’s remarkable trial skills will stand him in good stead in his new appointment as he continues to make his mark in the legal community. The Scott Venturo LLP family wishes Mr. Justice Hall the very best. We will miss him.
Scott Venturo LLP Legal News
The 15th in the Scott Venturo Learn at Lunch Presentations, Brains, Trains and Automobiles takes place on June 10th. Details can be found at Scott Venturo 15th Learn at Lunch Presentation.
On April 10, 2013 Bruce J. MacLeod successfully defended Winsport (Canada Olympic Development Association) in a claim involving a snowboarder suffering significant injuries in the ½ pipe feature of the terrain park. After hearing all of the evidence, the Defendant was found wholly successful and costs were payable by the Plaintiff to the Defendant. Kerr v. Canada Olympic Development Association
In Allen v. Gray, 2012 ABQB 66, Domenic Venturo, Q.C. and Katrina Edgerton-McGhan were successful in an application for an Order declaring the Plaintiff to be a vexatious plaintiff pursuant to s. 23.2 of the Alberta Judicature Act. As a result, the Plaintiff in that action must seek leave of the court in order take any further steps in such action, any other existing action or to commence any new action. In a Memorandum of Judgment filed May 22, 2013, Ms. Allen's appeal was dismissed for want of prosecution. http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb_new/public/ca/2003-NewTemplate/ca/Civil/2013/2013abca0176.pdf
In the recent decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench in Chouhan v. Canada Safeway Ltd. and McNeice Landscaping Ltd., 2012 ABQB 7, Marney Lutz successfully defended McNeice Landscaping Ltd, a snow removal contractor who were sued, along with Canada Safeway Ltd. by the Plaintiff who claimed injury when she fell and broke her leg in front of a Safeway store prior to the store opening. The fall occurred when the Plaintiff approached the entrance to the Canada Safeway store while McNeice was in the process of completing snow removal work. The case against McNeice was dismissed, and a finding was made that McNeice performed its work in a reasonable and appropriate manner, and in accordance with its’ contractual obligations. The claim against Canada Safeway was also dismissed.
- Marney Lutz successfully defended her clients in Ngyuen v. Smith by advancing a rare, but in this case effective, defence of inevitable accident, where the Defendant, Christine Smith, while stopped at a red light, experienced a sudden and unexpected loss of consciousness, causing her foot to come off the brake, and her vehicle to roll forward, striking the vehicle in front. The three occupants of that vehicle advanced personal injury claims. The Plaintiff argued that the Defendant was negligent in failing to pull over on a busy 4 lane roadway soon enough, or in failing to choose a more appropriate place to pull off the road. The Defendant, shortly after realizing that she was feeling unwell and light-headed, chose to exit the roadway at a place with which she was familiar, as opposed to what might have been a more expedient exit. The court, in dismissing the Plaintiff’s claim, found that the Defendant had acted in a reasonable fashion, and that she had no reason to anticipate her sudden lack of consciousness, which had never happened prior to the accident, nor had it happened since. The case was dismissed at trial, and no appeal has been filed.
Scott Venturo LLP Writes
Scott Venturo LLP Community News
Scott Venturo LLP Supports Two Olympians for 2014 Olympics
We are proud to announce our sponsorship of Alex Gough, World Cup Gold and Silver Medalist, World Championship bronze medallist and second time Olympian luger and Marsha Hudey, first time Olympian Speedskater! We will be closely watching and cheering loudly for both of you ladies!
Scott Venturo LLP Supports the Calgary Zoo
The flood ravaged Calgary Zoo was the benefit of some hard-hitting fundraising efforts by our clients and lawyers at the Valley Ridge Golf Club.
Scott Venturo LLP Supports Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
The Scott Venturo LLP 2013 Team for the Run for the Cure was our largest number ever. It was a great day to spend time together and to support this very worthy cause.
Scott Venturo LLP supports United Way
The 2013 Scott Venturo LLP United Way week was held November 11 - 15. Thanks to the efforts of our suppliers, neighbours, lawyers and staff, our office raised over $11,000.00!
Janet E. Russell, Q.C. serves as a member on the GAIN team on board and governance issues. The GAIN team provides services to the United Way agencies upon the advice of the United Way.
The Scott Venturo LLP United Way week (November 19 - 23) started on November 1, 2012 with Colin McKinnon, Jeff Coape-Arnold, Matt Bancroft and staff member, Niall Condon all generously agreeing to let their moustache and beard grow until their respective donations reached $500.00. Everyone at Scott Venturo LLP must love beards because many donated $0.50 per day with a top of $100.00 at the end of the United Way week if each participant kept their moustache and beard until November 23, 2012!
Scott Venturo supports 2013 Calgary International Film Festival
Scott Venturo LLP is proud to be a long term sponsor of the Calgary International Film Festival.
On August 27, 2009, Scott Venturo LLP became a member of Mackrell International. Mackrell International is one of the world’s major networks of over 60 independent law firms that have more than 100 offices on five continents. Scott Venturo LLP is proud to be associated with this forceful and innovative network of medium-sized law firms in major jurisdictions, dedicated to client satisfaction.